Passport Help

My father in law is a US citizen.He went to India in january 2009.There one of his relative register a false case against him and the Punjab police took away his passport from him.Then the case started in the court.His passport is in the hands of police till now.The judge is just giving him can he get his passport back? He is still in India.

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

I checked with Rajiv.  He said that a passport is ultimately the property of the issuing government.  Punjab police will probably not be able to hold the passport beyond a certain time.  We do not practice laws of India (US only).  They need to discuss this with local counsel.

Unless the context shows otherwise, all answers here were provided by Rajiv and were compiled and reported by our editorial team from comments and blog on

Add new comment